Bastia-Cap Corse-St Florent Top Attractions

Bastia courthouse

Cultural heritage | Bastia
Bastia courthouse

For a long time in Bastia, the justice was done in the premises of the former convent of the Missionaries (current school Jean Nicoli), partly occupied by the army. Judges demanded the building of a real courthouse. The site of the former garden of the Jesuits was chosen in 1841 . Works started in 1852 (the first stone was laid on July 25th of that year) on the plans of the architect Cotin, and completed in 1855. The place of this building up the Boulevard Paoli(Bastia high street) coincides with the imortant nature of the function, intensified by the wide stairs that allow access . The courthouse was inaugurated on May 12th, 1858. On 27th April 1932, during a trial, the collapse of the ceiling made 17 dead people and several wounded. During World War II,the courthouse was partially destroyed by the explosion of bombs left by the Germans who were leaving the city: two deaths. Bastia Tourist Office

Bastia courthouse
France Cultural heritage
Contact
Address:

Place Moro de Giafferi

Bastia and the Cap Corse
Neighborhood: Bastia
Nearby Places Bastia courthouse

Display distance in Feet | Meters

Download your Corsica guide!

Favorites