Bastia-Cap Corse-St Florent Top Attractions

Oratory of the Immaculate Conception

Cultural heritage | Bastia
Oratory of the Immaculate Conception 5.0 1
1 ratings5.0

The Brotherhood of the Immaculate Conception was established in Bastia in 1588 , the construction of his oratory was completed in its current volumes in 1609. Siding white marble covering the façade was laid in 1859 , they are the work of Italian masons settled in Bastia (Lucciani Giuseppe, Giuseppe Bertolucci, Camillo Perutelli). In the centre, the great baroque portal Carrara marble is older, it dates from 1704. The front of the chapel is decorated with a mosaic of pebbles of the Genovese tradition. This mosaic is mentioned in ancient chronicles in 1660, it was rebuilt and renovated several times over the centuries . (the last restoration dates back fromi1994) . In the 18th century the building was used for political meetings room "Corsican state room" during the reigns of Louis XV and Louis XVI kings of France and Corsica ; " Parliament of the United Anglo- Corsican " in 1795 King George III of England and Corsica. Under the Directory oratory was transformed into a "Temple of the meeting" place of celebration for the Republican parties and civil weddings.The building was also used for some time as a military hospital room . The Oratory has been classified a historical monument in 1999. Bastia Tourist Office

Oratory of the Immaculate Conception
France Cultural heritage
Contact
Address:

Bastia and the Cap Corse
Neighborhood: Bastia
Nearby Places Oratory of the Immaculate Conception

Display distance in Feet | Meters

Download your Corsica guide!

Favorites